Thursday, June 2, 2011

barry underwood


These photographs by Barry Underwood remind me of summer evenings spent watching fireflies.  But of course this is the fantasy fairytale version.


"I approach my photographic work with a theatrical sensibility that permits me to intermingle issues that arise from contemporary painting, cinema and land art.  The resulting images are surreal images, given that they result from this cross-pollination between traditional photography and theater."

So timely for me to reread his artist statement right now, since lately I've been thinking a lot about 'intermingling issues' and 'cross-pollination'.  Boundaries in art do us no good at all, so why do we get stuck with them so easily?

more eerily beautiful photos after the jump...

5 comments:

  1. God these are beautiful!
    xo
    alexa
    www.theshortandthesweetofit.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could stare at these for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Barry Underwood and these photos. I once saw an exhibit of these in Oakland and was very tempted to get one. One of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are so magical! i love them.

    ReplyDelete

Say what?